giovedì 18 dicembre 2008

Ten Mistakes!

The day began like any other. I’d started to get ready for school when I turned on the radio. The announcer said that the Wall was down. I couldn’t help WONDERING if I was dreaming, it was so unbelievable. I thought I’d better hurry to school to see what was happening. In the school playground, everyone seemed to be very happy and excited. Then the head teacher came out. He said he wanted US TO join in the celebrations and so would let us HAVE the whole day off school.
My friends and I decided to go immediately to Checkpoint Charlie, the main crossing point from East to West Berlin. We were keen ON welcoming the people arriving from the East. When we arrived, everything was in chaos. We saw young people, old people, friends, and strangers laughing and hugging each other. The first cars from East Berlin started arriving and people were clapping, cheering, and throwing flowers. At first the borders guards attempted TO CONTROL the flow of cars but soon gave up trying because there were so many, and instead joined in dancing. After a while they didn’t prevent people FROM CLIMBING the Wall either. Soon the people at the top were helping others to clamber up – me and my friends among them – and we all carried on DANCING. Someone lent us a hammer and suggested THAT WE KNOCKED chunks of concrete off the wall. I remember WAVING to the East German guards in their watchtowers and they waved back. Only yesterday they would have been ordered TO shoot us! What a day. I shall never forget it.

1 commento:

  1. Hi Francesco,

    Good to see you have set up a blog and caught up with your self study work. Your answers are good but check for spelling mistakes and wrong frms (politicians not politic, moral not morale). It's good to see you are collecting new vocabulary here - but do something with it - example sentences, mid maps, lexical sets - that way you are more likely to remember new words rather than just writing a translation.

    Now that you have the blog get into the habit or using it - even if it's just once a week. Check my blog from time to time and use the exercises and links to work on your weak areas.

    Overall you have got 60% for the Term (Grade C)

    Take care and have a good Christmas.

    Sean

    RispondiElimina